Pedestrian Accidents: What should I do?

Free Case Evaluation

- No Fee Unless You Win -

Free Case Evaluation Form Click to expand

Pedestrian Accident: What Should I Do?


  • Obtain appropriate medical care for any injuries.
  • Whether or not injuries are involved, notify the police.
  • Exchange information with the other drivers involved. Even if there does not appear to be any injuries, be sure to obtain their driver’s license number, insurance information and the license numbers of the involved vehicles. Injuries may not be immediately apparent and failing to obtain the other drivers’ identification and insurance information may seriously impair your legal rights in the future.
  • Get the names and addresses of any witnesses.
  • If a camera is available, take photographs of the vehicles and the scene.
  • Note the weather conditions, road conditions and lighting conditions at the time of the collision.
  • Take notes of any statements made by other drivers as to how the collision occurred.
  • Report the collision to your insurance company if any property damage or injuries are involved
  • If contacted by the insurance company for the other involved motor vehicles, do not discuss the facts of the collision with them. Instead, first consider consulting an attorney to protect your legal rights.
  • Keep copies of all information obtained at the scene in a safe place for later reference.
  • Do not sign any writings by the other driver purporting to summarize the facts of the accident.
  • Do not get into an argument with the other driver(s) about what happened.
  • Do not permit anyone to interrogate you about the events of the accident, particularly the other party’s attorney, representatives of the other party’s insurance company, or even representatives of your own insurance company. If your insurance policy requires that you report your accident within a time certain, this is another reason to obtain an attorney immediately.
  • Contact Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben immediately following a pedestrian accident at 1-800-752-4265 to learn your legal rights and receive the just compensation you deserve.