Semi-truck Accident: What Should I Do?
If you or a loved one has been involved in a semi-truck accident in Minnesota, understanding the proper steps to take after an accident is essential. If you live in Minnesota, the Minneapolis personal injury law firm of Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben is ready to help. The firm’s mobile website, which can be accessed at www.schwebel.com, has a handy Accident App that will take you step by step through the post-accident process.
- First and foremost, obtain medical assistance. Even if you may not be aware of it right away, there could be serious internal injuries.
- Once you know whether injuries have been sustained from the accident, notify the police.
- Exchange important information with any other drives involved. This information includes their driver’s license number and insurance information. You should also obtain the license numbers of any other vehicles involved in the accident. Remember, injuries may not be apparent immediately. If you fail to obtain the identification and insurance information of other drivers, your own legal rights could be seriously impaired later.
- Obtain the names and addresses of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Make note of the road, lighting, and weather conditions at the time of the accident.
- Take notes regarding statements from other drivers regarding how the accident occurred.
- Report the accident to your insurance agency if any injuries or property damage is involved.
- If the insurance company for the other driver contacts you, do not discuss any facts related to the accident without first consulting a semi-truck accident attorney in Minnesota.
- Retain copies of any information that is obtained at the scene of the accident in a secure location.
- Do not sign any documents summarizing the facts of the accident for the other driver.
- Avoid getting into an argument regarding what occurred with the other driver(s).
- Do not allow anyone to question you regarding the events of the accident. This includes the attorney of the other party, representatives of the other driver’s insurance company. In addition, do not answer any questions from representatives of your own insurance company. In the event you are required by your insurance policy to report the accident within a certain time period, this is one more important reason to immediately call a Minnesota semi-truck accident attorney.
From a legal perspective, semi-truck accidents in Minnesota are different from other accidents. Truck drivers and the companies that employ them are held to strict state and federal regulations. Numerous factors can contribute to semi-truck accidents, including speed, driver fatigue, substance abuse, overloaded freight, and many others. Violations of these regulations can establish the basis for fault on the part of the driver or the trucking company.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a semi-truck accident, contact Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben immediately to ensure your legal rights are protected and receive the fair compensation you deserve. Call 612-377-7777 or 1-800-752-4265 (toll free) for a free consultation.