Car Accidents: What should I do?
WHAT SHOULD I DO AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT?
Car accidents are frightening. In the heat of the moment, knowing what to do is critical. With any luck, you will never be involved in a car accident, but it’s important to be as prepared as possible and learn what to do.
If you live in Minnesota, the Minneapolis personal injury law firm of Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben is ready to help. The firm's mobile website, which can be accessed at mobile.schwebel.com, has a handy Accident App that will take you step by step through the post-accident process. In the meantime, learn more about what to do in the event of a car accident below.
- Get Out of Danger - If a fire or another dangerous condition exists in the aftermath of a car accident, get away from it as quickly as possible.
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention - If you or anyone else at the scene is experiencing a medical emergency, call 911 immediately.
- Turn on the Accident App - When you are clear of immediate dangers and medical emergencies, visit the Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben mobile website with your smartphone. The Accident App will walk you through the steps that you need to take.
- Exchange Information - At the absolute minimum, you need to acquire the other driver's insurance information, driver's license number and license plate number. You will need to provide that information to the other driver as well.
- Contact a Minneapolis Car Accident Lawyer - If you're already logged into the Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben Accident App, you can use it to contact the law firm immediately. You still need to keep the following points in mind, but the easiest way to protect yourself in the aftermath of a car accident is by consulting with an experienced car accident attorney.
- Don't Discuss the Facts of Your Case with Anyone - Don't be surprised if you get a phone call from the other driver's insurance company within a short period of time. Do not discuss the facts of the incident. The same thing holds true for your own insurance company. All too often, insurance companies try to pressure people into accepting unfair settlements. You have no way of knowing whether you're being offered a fair settlement or not. That's why having an experienced Minnesota car accident lawyer by your side is so important.
- Don't Sign Anything - If the other driver or a representative of his tries to get you to sign something regarding the accident, don't do it.
- Get Copies of Everything - Make sure to obtain copies of all of the paperwork that is related to your accident. Do not allow anyone to walk away with your only copy of a report or other document.
- Don't Argue about the Accident - In the immediate aftermath of a car accident, the involved parties sometimes get into arguments about who was at fault and what happened. Don't fall into this trap. Don't discuss the situation with anyone but your Minneapolis car accident attorney. The attorneys at Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben can give you the guidance that you need.
- Don't Accept a Claim without an Attorney - Make sure that a lawyer from the Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben law firm reviews any claim that you are offered before you accept it.
Contact Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben Immediately After a Car Accident
One of the most important steps that you can take in the wake of an accident is contacting an experienced Minneapolis car accident lawyer from the law firm of Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben. If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident in Minneapolis or the surrounding area, call 612-377-7777 or 1-800-752-4265 (toll free) for a free consultation.