The case involved a 9-month-old baby who was being attended to at an in-home day care center in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota. The day care operator had several young children in her home. The day care operator was cooking in the kitchen and decided to use a pressure cooker in order to make pea soup from split peas. When the defendant day care operator removed the lid from the pressure cooker, boiling hot pea soup escaped. The 9-month only suffered burns on her chin, neck, shoulder and arms, which were both 2nd and 3rd degree. Subsequent investigation indicated that the pressure cooker manufacturer sold the device with written instructions warning never to cook split peas.