News Room

Free Case Evaluation

- No Fee Unless You Win -

Free Case Evaluation Form Click to expand

What Should I Do After Being Involved in a Motor Vehicle Collision?

Author / Coordinator: Cody Scharpf

May 2022

Cody ScharpfWhat should I do after being involved in a motor vehicle collision? If you find yourself involved in a car crash, below are the steps I’d recommend you take:

  • Call 911. The police will help clear the crash scene, facilitate an exchange of information, and medical personnel will be dispatched if needed.
  • If you are physically able, exchange information at the scene. If the situation allows, you should obtain the other driver’s insurance information (name, insurance carrier and policy number), driver’s license number and license plate number. It is helpful to have this information to report the claim to the insurance company without having to wait for the police report.
  • Seek Immediate Medical Attention. If you, or anyone else at the scene is injured, request medical personnel be dispatched to the scene. If an ambulance is not required, seek care at an urgent care or emergency room facility where you can be examined right away.
  • Contact Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben. The best way to protect yourself after being involved in an auto collision is by consulting with our experienced personal injury attorneys. Our attorneys are happy to speak with you to answer questions you have and can advise of specific steps to take in your individual case.
  • Don’t Discuss the Facts of Your Case with Anyone. You may receive a call from the other driver’s insurance company or from your own auto insurance company in the days following the collision. Do not discuss the facts of the collision without having first consulted with an attorney.
  • Don’t Sign Anything. Do not sign any paperwork without speaking with an attorney first.
  • Get Copies of Everything. Ask for and keep copies of all of the paperwork that is related to the crash and your injuries including the driver exchange of information form, police reports, intake or discharge forms, etc. Keep copies of these documents so that you can provide them to your attorney if necessary.
  • Don’t Accept a Settlement without an Attorney. Make sure that you have consulted with an attorney from Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben before considering any settlement.

The days, week or months after being injured in a car crash can be a difficult time. One of the most important steps that you can take following the collision is contacting an experienced Minnesota personal injury attorney from the law firm of Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben. If you or a loved one has been involved in a motor vehicle collision in Minneapolis or the surrounding areas, call 612-377-7777 or 1-800-752-4265 (toll free) for a free consultation.

« Back to News Room