Richard J. Nygaard
’s diverse background is a great asset to Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben. As a trial lawyer, he's seen the courtroom from both sides, serving as both plaintiff and defense counsel. He has been a trial lawyer for over 35 years and has tried over 250 jury cases to a conclusion in Minnesota State and Federal courts. Dick was a partner in the law firm of Rider Bennett before joining Schwebel, Goetz & Sieben.
Nygaard has been in practice since 1968, and has represented a variety of high profile clients. He has mass torts experience in the breast implant litigation in Minnesota and other states, and was a national liaison counsel in the multi-district jaw implant litigation. He has tried several trucking accident cases involving serious injury and has several jury verdicts in excess of one million dollars.
Dick has been active throughout his career in many Hennepin County and Minnesota State Bar Association committees and served on the Governor's Judicial Selection Commission. He has been a lecturer on numerous occasions in the areas of the Rules of Evidence, trial tactics, expert witnesses, settlement agreements and discovery.
Esteemed by his colleagues, Dick has been named a “Top 100 Super Lawyer" by Minnesota Law & Politics and has continually been selected by his peers for inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in America.” Dick is also a member of the “American College of Trial Lawyers,” recognized as the premier organization of trial lawyers in the country.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
• Personal Injury
• Wrongful Death
• Product Liability
• Construction Litigation
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS
• Minnesota State Bar, 1967
• U.S. District Court–District of Minnesota, 1969
• U.S. District Court–District of Wisconsin
• U.S. District Court–District of North Dakota
• U.S. District Court–District of Nebraska
• U.S. District Court–District of Arizona
• U.S. Supreme Court of Minnesota, 1981
• U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 1969
• U.S. Tax Court
• University of Minnesota, School of Law, 1967
• University of St. Thomas, B.A., 1964
• Cretin High School, St. Paul, MN, 1960
• Rider Bennett, 1968-2007
• Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
• Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
• American Bar Association, Member
• Governor's Judicial Selection Commission (1982-85)
• American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow, 2001-Present
• Delta Theta Phi. Member, Judicial Selection Commission, (1980-1981)
• Volunteer Lawyers Network, Volunteer
• "Sports Liability," Author, Hennepin Lawyer, 1985
• He has been a lecturer on numerous occasions in the areas of the Rules of Evidence, trial tactics, expert witnesses, settlement agreements and discovery.
• St. Paul, Minnesota